Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Indian Fever

When I was still attending VSO trainings and seminars in the Philippines, I've realized I already began to love India. I haven't been to this place a million or a billion miles from my secure and comfortable Philippine bed nor have I read thoroughly the life and culture of this mystique place that worships Durga (whom I have only came to know and was revealed to me during the Durga Puja).

At night I wondered, have I decided the right thing of going to this unknown place? Do I possess the right capacity to blend with the people and the organization that I woould be working with? Will I trade not seeing my family and my friends for a year in isolation? But what the heck!....honestly, its only this great sense of adventure that pushed me to hop on the plane off to the unknown. Anyway, its only for a year. I will just only miss one Christmas...a chaotic new year with a rotten belly from drinking mixed drinks with no umbrellas.... the wedding of my 40 year old big brother (hoping he is not the 40-year old virgin in the movie)...one year round of birthday celebrations of friends and family members and my own... a year episodes of my favorite tv pinoy teleseryes which i could buy dvds when i come back...no big deal!

Anyhow, I managed to get myself off to India on a plane serving sumptuous food, surplus of chocolate ice cream cones by very kind stewardesses who gave me souvenirs of playing cards and posts cards with pictures depicting the plane I'm flying with. I felt also blessed because I was not travelling by myself but with 3 also apprehensive volunteers who were always amazed by the size of Changgi (Singapore) airport during our stop over.
Changgi Airport with Mila, Mabel and Noel (who is taking the picture)

Fully enjoyed our stop over by looking at delicate souvenir shops, eating twirls, and riding the bullet trains from one terminal to another taking pictures along the way. We could have reached terminal 3 & 4 if not for the time constraint.

Finally, India appeared in my vision from the airplane an hour before midnight. It was so dark that got me thinking, will I be living in darkness as well? I couldnt remember anymore how I got myself off from the plane to the arrival area, maybe mabel and noel dragged me out with my seatbelt on. Tired but happy faces (finally they can go to bed and rest) of Rimmy and Raj greeted us at the waiting area had somehow made my mind assured and content of being in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment