Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Unforgettable Gatherings in CINI

Rabindranath Tagore’s Bday Tribute
May 15, 2009
This happened after a month in my placement. Never knew I could sing Bengali Song that easy. My Bengali Music Teachers were awesome and patient and very appreciative that I could easily learn to sing like a Bengali.
This is a regular celebration in CINI. As do all Bengali people, they worship Rabindranath Tagore with all their hearts because this world famous poet happens to be from Bengal. There is a mystique aura in Kolkata that I have experienced myself. I never knew I could write poems from the heart until I came to this land of most cows and romantic poetry. Despite walking side by side with cows along the narrow village roads, seeing men in skirts, smelling unending cues of garbage and exchanging smiles with small children with tattered clothes (sometimes without it) barefoot from the deep well carrying heavy tin water jars, I could still find solace to write such heartfelt words into love poems. I wonder if Tagore upon writing his love poems felt like I did in my dreamy state of writing.
Anyhow, I performed a song number of one of Tagore’s love poems during the program tribute. I felt it was my baptism of fire because they would surely send me back to the Philippines if I had disappointed Tagore’s fans. Fortunately, I passed with flying colors. My heart soured around the campus for several days with their unending praises for my brave singing stunt in front of about 100 CINI staff. Thanks to the CINI International Manager who patiently assisted me in my singing lessons. Bengali people indeed are very appreciative people!










CINI 36th Anniversary
February 1, 2010
This was a fun experience for me. I felt the members of community of CINI are very close to each other. CINI people from other branches came to celebrate this event in the CINI head office, my placement. Almost all female staff wore their best sarees and men wore their best suits. It was like a star-studded affair with bollywood actors and actresses.

The Program was graced by a Minister of West Bengal. There were speeches at the first half given by some prominent government officials and CINI Directors and the second half was given to the invited cultural dancers and singers. Socializing and relaxing with CINI Staff and Officers at the CINI garden yard was a treat because they were so sweet and friendly. Again, I was given a considerable amount of attention and praise for wearing a pink sari for this special occasion, “Beautiful!” the Director exclaimed upon seeing me and commented I should have worn a Filipiniana Costume like Imelda Marcos (the famous former First Lady of the Philippines in 1960-1990) in puffed sleeves! The ladies, on the other hand, commented I look like a “Doll” wearing the pink soft sari (ears flapping!). The best part of the program was the morning snacks and lunch. Awesome food! 

No comments:

Post a Comment